Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Comeback...

There are a lot of gymnasts who are planning big comebacks; Alicia Sacramone, Shawn Johnson, me...

This is my first real post that is open to the public about my gymnastics, but I'm tired of trying to keep it a secret. My love for the sport shouldn't have to be a secret in the first place.

It's been over 6 months since the day I had decided I needed to take 6 months off for my wrist to completely heal. Naturally, I think I lasted about a month or two before I started some limited gymnastics training. Since that time I have moved onto 2 more gyms. In total, I have trained at over 7 gyms...Only competed for two of them though.

I have almost finally transitioned back from coach to gymnast, for the second time...

I started training at my newest gym nearly 3 weeks ago.

At first I kept questioning whether there was any point in me returning. I have been out of shape for three years, (although I'm in much better shape than I was 1.5 years ago). I felt like I had nothing left to give, that starting over again was the last thing I wanted to do. I was surprised, however, with how quickly my body has come back! 2 weeks ago I did yurchenko tucks on the real vault onto mats for the first time in 2 years!!!! TWO YEARS! That's a LOONNNNGG time in the sport of gymnastics! And yet I managed to get the skill back in what...a week?! On top of that, I have started working backhandspring, back layout step outs for beam. A skill I have not worked, literally, for over 3 years! I am doing blinds again as well. Not only that, but at the gym prior to this one, I made 3 blind, front giants! Likewise, I haven't made that many in one day for 2 or 3 years! How is it that I'm getting all these skills back like this? I believe that,
Number 1. I am a lot stronger.
Number 2. I have patient and supportive coaches...finally!

Due to the fact that Westerns was last weekend and the girls and coaches had headed down to Wes De Moines, Iowa; I had not trained for a week. Thus yesterday started rough. I already felt out of shape again and after only a short while on bars, this was the result:

It looked a lot nastier yesterday. There's still blood splattered all over my grips, it's lovely. By the end of yesterday's practice I was loving the sport all over again! I've started doing open pike (almost layed out) yurchenko drills into the pit, round off-back lay dismounts off beam, back tucks, leaps and turjetes on beam, back and front twisting on floor and still working on getting most all of my skills back on bars.

My progress that has been made so far with as little training as I've done is immense in my opinion. And finally, for the first time in 2 years, I have this summer to train again! (Knock on wood). And let me have you know, this summer is gonna hurt like hell, but hopefully I will be ripped, in shape and ready for a full, injury free season in the sport of gymnastics! :)

I'll keep you posted on what's happening in my gymnastics life.

No comments:

Post a Comment